Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Restart on login BSOD 0x8E

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hey. two days ago i was running a spyware scan on my PC and in the middle of the scan the PC reset itself and when it reboot to the log on screen i clicked on my user icon as usual and it restart now every time i try to log in it resets. i disabled the automatic restar and found that STOP: 0x8E was responisble for the constant restarts. i have searched the internet intently since it happened, doing so in safe mode and running various scans and diagnostic programs/services to try and resolve the problem. my anti-virus and anti -spyware have deleted loads of spyware and trojans and still the problem persists. i used memtest to check the RAM and the module is still good. can someone please help me with this issue, or have any new insights on how to go about finding a solution? thanks adam ps have attached the last few minidumps from the stop errors.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:41 PM

It's not a good idea to be browsing the internet, using SAFE Mode, since all of your protective Firewall and anti-Virus is disabled in SAFE Mode. You are therefore wide open to additional infection.

If you have HiJackThis version 1.9.1, please run a scan and save the log to floppy disk or CD.
Transfer that log to another (protected) machine and post the log to our Malware Removal Forum as a new Topic.

If you do not yet have HiJackThis version 1.9.1, please use another (protected) machine to download it from here:
http://www.radiosplace.com

Save it to Floppy or CD and transfer to your infected machine. Run scan and save log as mentioned above, then use another (protected) machine to post the log as a new topic to our Malware Removal Forum.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

Have you recently changed your Display Settings ---- Change them back or installed an updated or new driver for your Video Card? --- Roll back to previous Driver __________ Check in your Device Manager for any yellow or red warnings. If warnings are present, remove and reinstall the associated Driver. _________ Run CHKDSK /f /r ____________ After running CHKDSK, run SYSTEM File Checker, - SFC /scannow Keep us posted with your progress ---------- Using another (protected machine for internet activity) Best REgards

#4 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

thanks for your replies i shall carry out your suggested actions when i am back at home, currently using university machine. i have also posted on techspot and an experienced member on that forum suggested that it is probably software hive corruption. although he could not help me with how to fix this, is it possible that this is the problem? if so how do i fix it? i shall still carry out your reccomended actions however i have previously tried using sfc/scannow and a command prompt box appears and then disappears. is it supposed to do more than this? thanks for your help.

#5 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

link to post in new thread:
http://forums.tomcoy...mp;#entry359028

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

Good work. You will probably benefit from completing any Malware Related work, BEFORE, you make any additional changes or follow-up on any recommendations from this OCP Forum. _______________ Regarding CHKDSK /f /r ---- You mention that file(s) were found in (1) one bad cluster. Run CHKDSK /f /r again, and repeat until (none) no files are identified, moved or repaired. Then (after CHKDSK finds nothing to repair) run your System File Checker -- sfc /scannow __________ Your HJT Expert Advisor will be assisting you with Malware Removal, which is not in the scope of what we do here in this OCP Forum. However, when your are finished in Malware Removal Forum, please feel welcome to return and post regarding any further questions or remaining issues that you wish to address. Best Regards

#7 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

i am not recieving any help from the malware removal forum. have you got any other ideas on what i could do to fix my system. i need to back asap so i can do my university work. i hvae reason to believe that software hive corruption is the problem have u got any knowledge in this subject area? thanks

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

You "do" have evidence of infection by "trojan" malware, at least one of which can interfere with the Login function when you boot your machine. Other "trojan" malware on your machine "can" gather personally important information and distribute that information back to unknown malicious sites/individuals. You "may" also have corruption in your Registry or other system file corruption. It is important to "fix" the malware problem before making any further changes in your operating system or registry, since malware will take "any oportunity" to redistribute itself/embed itself into additional locations in your machine, possibly making it harder to detect and remove. Please complete your work in the Malware Removal Forum, prior to attempting system file and registry repair. Please be patient with the folks over in Malware Removal. They are all volunteers and quite busy as you may have already noticed. It is not unusual to experience a 3 - 5 day delay before receiving a response in the Malware Removal Forum. Once you are all clear from Malware, please feel free to post back here in OCP for any further assistance you may require. Best Regards

#9 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

cheers mate you have been a great help and are obviously a total legend. i am very appreciative of your help and dont mean to be impatient. thanks

#10 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

well im back. shelf life has helped me obtain a status of malware free but i am still having the same problem, BSOD when i log into windows in normal mode. so what do i do now? adam

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

Please check your Device Manager and report back any yellow or red warnings. If any are present, you can go ahead and "remove" the item, then reboot, so that Windows can "find new hardware and install software/drives for new hardware" I know you've not reported installing any new hardware, but when you "remove" the Driver, Windows will act like it is "finding new hardware" and proceed through its installation process. _________ Please go to your Event Viewer Post back with recent Error Code entries at the time that you are having difficulty accessing IE. Hopefully those bits of information will provide additional clues to follow up on. Nice work with ShelfLife :thumbup: Best Regards

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

Let's get grounded again with the precise problem you continue to experience.

I believe that you are experiencing BSOD with Error Code 0x08e?
Please post the "entire" BSOD Error Code information, as there are several "variations".

Here is a "general" problem-solving guide for 0x08e:
http://msdn2.microso...y/ms794023.aspx
_____

My understanding is also that you've made no Hardware or Software changes immediately prior to the start of this problem.

If that is true, then we are dealing with a failed Driver, corrupted OS file, or a failing piece of Hardware.

Exception: It is possible that an MS update has provoked a conflict with, or fault in, a driver.

One of the "suggestions" in the above cited MSDN article is "BIOS upgrade".
Again, since you haven't installed new Software or Hardware, and the machine was presumably running well, there would ordinarily be no need for BIOS Upgrade. Thus leaving us to track down a problem with a faulty Driver, or missing/corrupted Operating System file.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions or understanding of your situation is inaccurate.

Best Regards

#13 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

sorry for the late reply i hadnt recieved an email notification and assumed that you hadnt reply and so i was nicely suprised when i logged to to check. concerning your post, yes everything you have assumed is true i shall post a log of the error code when i get home in an hour or so. adam

#14 adamdama

adamdama

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

ok so i have the full error code and it is as follows: *** STOP : 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x08062BFBF, 0xA81C2988, 0x00000000) i have previously looked at that microsoft site and it doesnt really help much cheers for your time adam

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Well, dang!

OK, back to basics again.

You've previously run MemTest86 (repeating for 3 full cycles) and No RAM Errors have been detected. ???

You've previously run chkdsk /f /r (watching carefully as this 20 minute scan proceeds, so that you would notice if any "files" are "identified" as being located in "bad-sectors" and then "moved/fixed". ???
And you've run chkdsk /f /r "repeatedly" until all errors are identified and fixed. ???
And then you've run chkdsk /f /r one additional error-free time to assure that your Hard Disk is error free. ????

After running chkdsk /f /r with no errors, you then ran Windows File Protection System File Checker sfc /scannow to be certain that there are no "missing or corrupt" Windows Operating System files. ???
And you watched this rather intensive scan to assure that no "missing or corrupt" files were identified. ???

And you've looked in your Device Manager and found no yellow or red warnings that would indicate bad device drivers. ???

And you've not installed any new Hardware or Software immediately prior to experiencing this Stop: 0x0000008e Error

Finally, you've reviewed the following links without satisfaction:
http://msdn2.microso...y/ms794023.aspx
http://www.aumha.org...bestop.php#0x8e

So now what to do?.........

The Error Code primarily suggests a Hardware or Hardware Driver problem.

In all the above steps, you've worked to make sure that Hard Drive and Operating System are not contributing to the Error.
And you've ascertained that your RAM is functioning properly.
________

Please Run the Full Tests at PCPitstop and post your TechExpress Link, so that we can get a complete overview of how your machine is running.
(**This presumes that you can boot into Normal Mode and access the Internet while in Normal Mode**)
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Tests in the left-hand column
Register with a valid email address, create your own password, and accept the ActiveX at the beginning of running the Full Tests.
Post the TechExpress Link back into this thread.

We'll then be able to reveiw your Full Tests Results to get a better idea of how the machine is running.
There may be some Tune-up Tips to follow, and review of the Results may suggest other clues to research.
________

Depending upon what "Results" we observe, your next steps may involve the following:

At this point, I'd physically disconnect any/all peripherals and Remove All optional Components from inside of the Tower.

You would therefore have remaining, only Power Supply, Motherboard, (1) one stick of RAM, and one Hard Drive.
(you would have removed any/all PCI cards (sound, AGP/PCI Video, Modem, NIC, etc) and you would have removed all Optical Drives (CD/DVD) and you would have removed the Floppy Drive if present.

All that remains would be PSU, Mobo, HD, (1)RAM, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse.
Please tell us if either your Keyboard or Mouse are wireless

Next:
Remove and replace the CMOS battery which is the nickel sized silver disk installed on the Motherboard.
(Costs about $2.50 US at Radio Shack or any electronics store)

Leaving one tower case panel open, start the machine, observing for smooth and vigorous activity of the HeatSink Fan, the PSU Fan, and any Case Fans.
Report on the machines function in this state. Does the 0x08e STOP code still appear?

Next:
Add one Hardware item at a time, booting your machine and observing performance with that single added Hardware item.
Progressively add (1)one Hardware item, booting and observing between each addition such that you notice when the Error again reappears.

This problem "could" be as simple as a "damaged or poorly connected" IDE or power connector.
Or it could be a damaged piece of Hardware.

Keep us posted.

The first thing that I'll be looking for is your PCPitstop Full Test Results TechExpress Link, so I can review how your machine is functioning, BEFORE you start disassembling it.

Best Regards

**** The Tower and Hardware work presumes that you are familiar with SAFETY Precautions and STATIC Electricity Precautions.****

Ask questions if you are unsure about SAFETY Issues.

And of course, if your machine happens to be a Laptop, we won't take the "hardware removal" steps, and it will be time to take the machine to a competent repair shop of your choosing.

Edited by dough, 13 March 2007 - 02:26 PM.