Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Aurora/Nail

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 moses from lost souls

moses from lost souls

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:37 PM

:rant2: ok, im new here :wavey: so pleeeeeease bare with me, :wall: i am on the net browsing with firefox, and every forum i go to i read up more and more about Aurora/Nail.exe, and the hell that people go through just to rid thier system of it.
Now, i read of new tools hear and there such as Nail/Aurora Spyware Fix by NoIdea.US but not really read up on any preventions that people can utilize, i guess other then a non ActiveX browser such as Firefox, but what software or tools are in place for that?
I know that Ewido is highly recommended for removal of parts of it, but for prevention?
thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this, :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Trevuren

Trevuren

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:41 PM

Hi Moses,

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)

Regards,

Trevuren

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 - 2009

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Posted Image

#3 Trevuren

Trevuren

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 - 2009

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Posted Image