Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Webroot SpySweeper & Other Tools

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scumware_hater

scumware_hater

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Hate scumware<br />Hate spyware<br />Hate adware<br />Hate phishing<br />Hate social engineering<br />Hate spamming<br />Hate trojans<br />Hate worms<br />Hate malware

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:37 PM

What is your take on Webroot SpySweeper? When I became information security conscious and soon after a scum/spy/adware hater, I went checking for antispyware tools and it seemed to me that SpySweeper was the most effective one - I compared it with NoAdware, Spybot, Aluria and perhaps others I don't remember. The thing is that recently I got Aurora and other spy/adware in my computer and although none of these tools seem to completely clean the PC(s), I guess SpySweeper still provides a more straight-forward interface and its more aggresive in its full scan / search. Anyway, what is your take on this tool in particular? What is your take on anothers? (I guess comparisons would be welcome, at both high and technical levels). Thanks to all.

Edited by scumware_hater, 22 August 2005 - 10:44 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 micaman

micaman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Malware!

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

I can tell you that after installing Webroot on my client's work machines (and mine), the other products mostly just clean up usage tracks! I have been pleasantly surprised at the difference. You can get Webroot for around $20.00 and it will update for 1 year automatically. If you are a MSN subscriber, you can download it for free under the security tools. The biggest difference will notice is that Webroot will catch the stuff on the way into your machine instead of cleaning up after it is on your hard drive.

It will also perform many other tasks that will help protect your machine. Webroot is well worth the money!

For my complete take on the different scanners, check out my answer here: http://forums.tomcoy...39

:D

#3 scumware_hater

scumware_hater

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Hate scumware<br />Hate spyware<br />Hate adware<br />Hate phishing<br />Hate social engineering<br />Hate spamming<br />Hate trojans<br />Hate worms<br />Hate malware

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the information! Your answer ( http://forums.tomcoy...39 ) is very well documented. I hope this discussion helps other people as well.
"ignorance is bliss"