Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Error 1606

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vEsprit

vEsprit

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

i was installing the latest version of Itunes package which has Quicktime 7.0.3 in it as well. The itunes installs fine but when it comes to the Quicktime installation, i get this error.. "Error 1606.Could not access network location QTComponents\." I hit cancel and it says: "Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information." the error might have come up when i ignored a warning message that said i need to close all browsers but i was downloading something on firefox so i just went ahead and ignored the warning and continued installation.. I used hijackthis to fix HKCU/Software/microsoft/internet explorer.... and restarted my cpu to see if the error was fixed but it wasnt.. Need help on what to do to fix this problem.. Thank u

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

Hi there,

Error 1606:

http://support.micro.....Ben-us;315352

and:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;886549

Error 1603:

http://consumer.inst....asp?id=Q111019

Let us know if that's of help :)

Big Smiles

HS
Posted Image
DynaSig: Free Dynamic Forum Signatures!

"Dogs are Running wild in the street...I just can't take it anymore!"

#3 vEsprit

vEsprit

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

cool.. i dont know what to say but tks man.. the last link:

Error 1603:

http://consumer.inst....asp?id=Q111019

that link worked.. i didnt try the first 2 though.. but well it worked..

#4 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hi there, Glad to be of help and to see you fixed.....happy surfing! :) Big Smiles HS
Posted Image

#5 buzby

buzby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

I also have this problem and havent been able to resolve it following the above links, i had an earlier version of QT7 and i cannot install the latest one, i get the same error as Vesprit did. I've cleaned out the registry, examined the HJT log have tried installing QT7 standalone and QT7 with iTunes only to get the same error.I also tried both symnantec tools (even tho i havent had norton on the system for a while) the one for nav 2005 crashed and the one for earlier versions (2002/3) kinda worked but then crashed. I tried re-installing the windows installer, with success but it didnt help , i can run QT6.5 but it's pretty much obsolete as most trailers etc have to be QT7. xp pro SP2 any help appreciated, regards, buz.

#6 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hi there,

Welcome to TC,

When you have a problem...even though it may be similar to those of others it's always best to start your own thread, as they may actually be caused by different things...and it is confusing to all trying to fix more then one person in the same place.

That said...you have Norton AV...that may be part of the problem...it doesn't play well with others...my advice would be to download a good alternative...I reccommend:

Antivirus Free

Disconnect, uninstall Norton and then install Antivir....if you choose....that may help with the problem.

Big Smiles

HS
Posted Image

#7 buzby

buzby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:18 PM

Hi happy, no, i said i had run the symantec removal tools even tho i hadn't had norton on my system for a while and i didnt make a new thread because the user before me has the exact same problem/error code as me so i thought making a new thread would be redundant.. anywho.. still no resolve to my problem. I've checked what reg keys im supposed to look at, the .exe setup isnt corrupt, my systems fine, but im confused how it will install iTunes and fail in quicktime [unless they have seperate types of installlers] Even when i try the standalone QT7 setup i get the same result, but not with QT6.5 And quictime alternative doesnt work either.. unless it's meant to run in IE, tho IMO nothing should run in IE..

#8 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hi there, I still advise you create your own thread...even if you put a link in it to this one.....just that your problem should be treated on its own merits...as displayed by the fact that the fix that helped the person in this thread did not solve your issue :) Big Smiles HS
Posted Image

#9 vEsprit

vEsprit

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

Didnt know i was still subscribed to this thread..

anyways i tried this and it worked.. not sure if u tried this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

If that doesnt help then i cannot help you.. :)

#10 buzby

buzby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:02 PM

Didnt know i was still subscribed to this thread..

anyways i tried this and it worked.. not sure if u tried this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

If that doesnt help then i cannot help you.. :)

Actually it did and thankyou, just to let anyone else know i had ran the M$ cleanup utility but didnt notice a entry saying "7.0.2" in fact it was right beside my adobe at the top of the list except my adobe said "adobe updater 7.0.2" i just thought it was a double entry, i'd forgot my old quicktime was 7.0.2

oh well.. live and learn.. thanx muchly all is well... :D

#11 vEsprit

vEsprit

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

hugs and kisses.. glad to be of much help.. :) you should thank HappyShiner as well.. he's the man !!

#12 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hi there, Just gald to be of help.....Happy Surfing :) Big Smiles HS
Posted Image