Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

SFC in WinXP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 njols

njols

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

Each time I try to run SFC, it asks for the WinXP CD to install to the DLL cache. Even with the CD inserted, it says it's wrong and to insert the correct. I've followed many suggestions to repair, even changing the registry to direct the search to I386 on my C drive. That got me halfway through the SFC and then that request for the CD starts again. I even did a tech suggestion of renaming a dll to see if System File Protection is working. It is not! Any help will be greatly appreciated. :( NJOls

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:12 AM

Are you getting a message that says a specific file.dll is missing?
Let us know what specific file.dll it is referring to, if that is the case.

If your operating system has been updated to SP2, SFC may object to you using an older installation CD that is XP without service packs.

You can get the SP2 installation CD from Microsoft, here for about $9.00:
http://www.microsoft...p2/default.mspx

In my experience, the CD comes in less than one week.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 njols

njols

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for your response. There is no specific DLL requested. It just says to insert CD so files can be added to the DLL cache. I have the SP2 CD and tried it and it's no go. It's frustrating to know that it ran halfway when I changed the path from E:\ to C:\. Any other suggestions?

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

I'm not clear on what you mean here:

it ran halfway when I changed the path from E:\ to C:\.

Maybe it's just that I'm still on only my first cup of coffee.
but more information might jog my eyeballs or brain to recognize the problem.

Best Regards

#5 njols

njols

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

It was suggested that I change the enrtry in the registry so the source path points to I386 in C:\. The registry location is HLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath. When this was changed from E:\ to C:\, SFC ran halfway.

#6 njols

njols

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

:D FWIW... I was able to get sfc to scan completely by copying the I386 folder from the XP CD to C:\I386. I changed the source path location {for SFC} in the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows and Windows NT from E to C. This workaround caused SFC to refer to C:\I386 for files rather than E:\I386. Hope this helps anyone else who has or gets this problem.

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hi njols,

I'm glad you were able to resolve your situation.

The procedure that you used, is highly recommended and may eliminate the need to insert your XP CD for many of the Windows File Protection built-in protection protocols.

This is an excellent knowledge base article regarding Windows File Protection - System File Checker, and also gives step-by-step instructions for completing the "work-around" that eventually worked for you.
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Thanks for your informative replies as you worked out the program on your own.
I, too, am hopeful that your experience will assist other Members in similar circumstances.

I'm glad you've decided to be a Member here at TomCoyote.
I hope you will post again when you want to, and help again when you can.

Best Regards